Right Advice

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Oct 15 12:21:48 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
> >I stand by my words about flag-waving. You bring an American flag to a
> >demo these days, be prepared to see it burn.
>
> Fucking hell, Chuck. I can see not wanting to wave a flag - I
> couldn't do it myself. But burning it? What does that accomplish
> except to marginalize yourself? You're not going to win any friends
> that way. And you'd alienate people like me, who aren't terribly
> sympathetic to the "reclaim the flag" argument, but still see no
> point in such acting out. What's your idea of a political base if you
> can tolerate alienating about 99.8% of your onlookers?

Well, that's my gut feeling. It's also a recognition that there are many activists these days who would be willing to do something like that. Remember, we've had the anti-capitalist movement since the last war. I won't burn your flag, but don't be surprised if somebody else does.

I wouldn't worry though, because I think most of my anarchist comrades think like I do. We look at the flag-waving in disgust, but we don't want to legitimize it by making a big fuss.

I think I find the idea of Leftists who want to wave the flag to be more disgusting than the patriots that are doing it. At least the Leftists should know better.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to start going to church if the Southern Baptists had seized control of the country.

Chuck0