Academic perks

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Oct 15 13:34:43 PDT 2001

At 12:55 PM 10/15/01 -0700, Miles Jackson wrote:

>You know, I keep hearing second and third hand stories about this. I've
>been teaching in colleges and universities for about 12 years now,
>and I've completely missed out on the "adoring booty" (as have all
>my colleagues). Is this an English department thing? Ivy league
>college thing? What?
>
>Miles

that's weird! you have a cool pic on the web! i think the phenom is going away to some extent because the list below is mainly a product of another time. still, a couple occurred during late 80s-mid 90s. in my case, mid to late 90s. true, i'm not real fac, but most of the time the adoring booty doesn't even know this while they're in crush on professor mode.

btw, i don't take this topic lightly, as i was pretty badly harassed by a professor when i first went to college. i was so traumatized by the incident, that i ended up dropping out.it was a crushing blow for me because i'd always wanted to be taken seriously. no one had much in high school. but this guy pretended to be interested in my intellect -- but for ulterior motives. i wouldn't return to college until after my kid was born and i felt like a mom and in my bizarre mind, not attractive to men. don't ask how i figured that, but i somehow thought i was off limits or not interesting because married mom.

anwya, i think what he did and the relationships below are rather different. his was a pattern of abuse and he eventually got busted, years later. why? because he was a labor mediator for local industry. despite years of complaints from women and the fact that his behavior was well known to everyone in the dept, he was never busted. but the president of said company was buds with the college president and on the college board and they worked out a deal. i catered the luncheon where they celebrated and bragged about how the guy ended up retiring early and heading for california.

people i know who left their spouses because of booty, or married booty, or slept with booty, or had rel. with a booty:

--my mentor married his grad student. (syr uni)(social science) --my mother married her college professor (he's younger than her. my mom's a babe!) (community college)(communications) --female prof at syr just gave birth to a baby.her husband is a grad student in another dept. and she dated him as such. (social sci) --my best friend married her prof (state uni) --i slept with one of my former students (how can you ignore adoring booty when that booty is a physics major that decided to convert to sociology!?) (syr uni)(sociology) --a social sci fac (male) is married to a former grad student now full time tenured fac at another college (syr uni)(social science) --i had a rel. with our dept admin asst. she was also a grad stud in another dept. (elite private) --there is also a writer out there who imagines himself to be the next hemingway who wrote a story about us. he was a drunk. he was my buoytoy after a divorce. student at another college but who clearly had a thing b/c of what i did for a living. (state college) --a friend married her poli sci prof. she had starry eyes in his class. they met at a bar later.... (state college) --philosophy prof affair, divorce resulted (state college)