Misanthropy and the left

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon Oct 15 14:21:41 PDT 2001

At 02:23 PM 10/15/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Carl, I worry about your misanthropy. Humans aren't all that awful.
>Excuse my sentimentality, but I don't see how anyone can subscribe to
>any kind of radical politics and not have some degree of optimism and
>love at the base of it.
>
>Doug

I agree with you, but people do. There is a psychopathology of the left and it involves a lot of resentment/anger/rage which is actually personal but which is justified and eternally fed by being vented at the powers that be. When you look at how such people act in their normal lives, they are complete assholes completely lacking in trust, kindness, generosity; they can only operate through symbolisms whose content has been predefined. And yet they believe and they want you to believe that they are interested in serving the interests of justice. Fat chance. I am very definitely NOT describing the entire left; but I've met enough of these people to know that they exist and to be extremely suspicious of their motives.

Joanna B.