"Clerical fascism"

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Mon Oct 15 19:44:51 PDT 2001

Hi,

So here's the problem.

I think that the term "clerical fascism" is accurate to describe the Taliban and ObL, but the way it is being used by liberals (and now conservatives) is to defend militarism and war.

So that sucks.

I have been talking to other analysts about this problem, and they have similar concerns.

So maybe while I write a paper on clerical fascism for academic circles, I think that for public consumption the terms Islamic theocracy and Islamic supremacy are more useful for left discourse.

Against terrorism, theocracy, war and fascism...

-Chip "Hey, I can change my mind" Berlet