anarchism as nationalism reborn

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 16 06:32:45 PDT 2001

Kelley wrote:

>At 03:38 PM 10/15/01 -0400, Chuck0 wrote:
>
>>This *is* a no brainer: patriotism and anarchism simply don't mix.
>>Anarchism is against the nation-state. We're not going to fool anybody
>>about our anti-statist politics by waving some symbol.
>
>but you will wave the black flag, right? if you do, then you're
>waving "some symbol" and, as such, it stands for something right?
>anarchists for something and against something? and, even if you try
>to make it only a symbol of anarchist identity united against
>something, the logic of the black flag is the same as the logic of
>any flag identified with a nation: WE (against them) or (we against)
>THEM.
>
>you can't get around the fact that in order to build a movement
>against nationalism/capitalism/statism, then you are recreating a
>new "ism" and a new kind of solidarity that reaches across
>localities. Although it may be more encompassing and seem more fluid
>and contestable than the nation-state, its logic is the same. the
>anarchist flag is a symbol meant to unite people all across the
>world in a struggle against the capitalist state and state
>capitalism. and that is exactly the logic that underpinned
>nationalism:

The simple point that Chuck0 made, however, is basically that, even if wrapped up in the Stars & Stripes, folks won't be fooled into thinking that anarchists are really "American patriots." In fact, if anarchists resorted to the waving of the American flag, they might consider it to be offensive, because it would be insincere & opportunistic. Isn't that true? -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>