Totalitarianism (was: "Clerical fascism")

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 16 07:20:53 PDT 2001

At 09:54 AM 10/16/01 -0400, Chip Berlet wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I dispute the definition of "totalitarianism" provided below as being the same
>as Kirkpatrick's "totalitarian theory." The discussion of Orwell was great.
>Kirkpatrick misrepresented Arendt's work. The basic concept of totalitarianism
>should not be discarded because of these and other abuses.

i think you misread what Jim Devine was up to. personally, after reading about how totalitarianism theory was taken up among Von MIses and the like, and when I see how it is used by conservative "scholars", I find it a word that ought to be dropped as fast as you'd drop an envelope with mysterious white powder cascading from it.

kelley