Drug profits and the Taliban

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Oct 16 10:44:20 PDT 2001

At 01:18 PM 10/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>So whats the deal with the heroine? I thought they
>said that they got rid of it all? Wasn't there a
>report awhile back saying that the US gave the Taliban
>$43 million for their efforts?

From what I understand, the deal with Heroin is that it's a relatively profitable cash crop in this time of global deflation in the raw materials/commodities market.

One article I read said that Afghanistan realizes about 500 million from its drug trade. That sounds like a lot, but not when you divide it by 20 million people. Interestingly, that 500 million constitutes a market of 80 billion after it has been transported and sold to the first world. The Afghanis take a pretty thin slice of that.

Joanna B.