Jude & Pat weigh in

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Oct 16 10:59:39 PDT 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Pat Buchanan wrote:

> The goal of bin Laden is to drive America out of his region by first
> drawing us deeper in. And, as one reads of new U.S. security ties to
> Uzbekistan, promises to rebuild Afghanistan, new pledges to Pakistan,
> and commitments to help resolve the Palestinian conflict, one wonders
> if bin Laden's lasting achievement will not have been to draw the
> American Empire into a vast second Vietnam, from Algeria to
> Afghanistan, as a prelude to driving us out of his world forever.
>
> Let us pause and think before plunging into another Big Muddy.

I'm not a big Pat watcher, but I feel like I've missed a crucial step in his evolution here. Cautioning us not to get into "another" big Muddy implies that he now admits that Vietnam was wrong -- and that the peace movement was right. Is that now his position? And did he write a big "mea culpa" somewhere?

Michael