anarchism as nationalism reborn

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 16 14:02:34 PDT 2001

Kelley wrote:

>At 10:17 AM 10/16/01 -0400, Dennis wrote:
>> > The simple point that Chuck0 made, however, is basically that, even
>>> if wrapped up in the Stars & Stripes, folks won't be fooled into
>>> thinking that anarchists are really "American patriots." In fact, if
>>> anarchists resorted to the waving of the American flag, they might
>>> consider it to be offensive, because it would be insincere &
>>> opportunistic. Isn't that true?
>>> --
>> > Yoshie
>
>oh, they'd probably see through it just like they see through
>leftists that rally the masses so they can convert them to leninism
>or those who secretly imagine that this war will be the downfall of
>Empire.

American workers, like any workers, are entitled to honesty from leftists of whatever political persuasions, and we should say what we believe, rather than tell them what we think they want to hear (which may not be even the same as what they really want to hear). Since Chuck0, unlike you & Dennis P, doesn't love the American flag, he shouldn't feel obligated to wave it, just because Justin Raimondo & Co. say so.

Besides, it's not as though the Stars & Stripes will prevail forever. Empires rise & fall, and learning from history, one sees long & costly wars tend to become unpopular, often leading to social upheavals. This war may or may not produce such an outcome, as it may or may not be long & costly. We can't rule out such a possibility, though, so leftists had better be prepared for it, unless they are content to let the Right take advantage of it (as they are doing now).

Yoshie