Fw: Saudi Royals and Reality

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:04:58 PDT 2001

>From: "Noam B. Asherr" <noamish at home.com>
>To: "Lbo-Talk" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>Subject: Fw: Saudi Royals and Reality
>Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:09:52 -0700
>
>Noam A's preface:
>
>9 out of 10 Thomas Freidman essays are shit. 10 out of 10 are written in
>the
>style of an obnoxious sports column.

Forever, and ever, amen.

Most of the piece was aight, but this was too tooo classic.

>So if you want to do something useful with your $10 million....endow
>American Studies
>departments in all Saudi universities

American Studies! Hey, why can't the CIA fund them, just like they funded Encounter and Abstract Expressionist exhibitions etc!

And I bet he hasn't the faintest idea why some person of color, on the IRT or in Islamabad, would find this hackle-raising. And he doesn't mention the word democracy, much less permitting non-religious dissent.

But really the best part of the piece is where he said:

>No, to
>listen to them you would think that all these young men had virgin >births:
>they came from nowhere, no society is responsible for them,

If societies are responsible for the actions of terrorists, why is it so controversial to suggest American society is responsible for the actions of its government?