anarchism as nationalism reborn

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 16 20:39:43 PDT 2001

Charles Jannuzi wrote:

> [clip]
>
> You also used the term 'parliamentary system' [clip]

Quick and sloppy usage. "Bourgeois democracy." "Electoral democracy." Whatever.

> Yet, since so many ideas that affect the evolution of the relationship
> between government and society have to come from the left, this is a sore
> lack in the US. Do you think all the people who voted Green in Europe are
> dyed-in-the-wool Greens devoted to that movement to the end? Or those who
> voted for right wing politicians in Austria, for example?

Of course not. That huge gap between the assent expressed in a vote and the assent needed by a mass movement (such as an anti-war movement) was the burden of my post. I'm laying a basis for my dismissal of tactics designed to achieve "popularity" for a person or idea.

Carrol