Anti-War Movements

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 17 06:39:12 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>You didn't ask a question. You merely wrapped a sneer in a question
>mark.

Right. I don't know what I'd do without a daily dose of your clarifications.

> Who do you think attacked WTC and what do you think the U.S.
>purpose is?

I think the official story - al Qaeda, an organization intimately wrapped up with the Taliban - is more or less right. (Even Robert Fisk believes that, no?) The U.S. response is a brutal and stupid retaliation for that act. It's certainly being used as a pretext for all sorts of other nastiness (Colombia, Nicaragua, and if the hawks get their way, Iraq), but I think the official story isn't a "simple lie" as you said yesterday.

Let me see if I have your position right. The official story is a "simple lie" - told on behalf of what, an oil pipeline? The War on Drugs? There's nothing any popular movement can do to stop the deaths of tens of thousands. But, nonetheless, "we," whoever we are, should try to build an antiwar movement through day-to-day, one-on-one conversation whose content is that al Qaeda isn't guilty, that no one will listen to "us," that there's no point in putting forward a just and decent response to S11, and there's nothing that a peace movement can do anyway. Sign me up!

Doug