Sontag v Chomsky

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:52:20 PDT 2001

She made a splash in the late 60s with a now-forgotten--I don't say justly or otherwise, because I've forgotten it too--essay called "Against Interpretation," which had some vogue in literary studies. She wrote a book I liked called Illness as Metaphor, Marta might have something to say about that. She wrotea number of opaque novels reviewed in The New York Review of Each Other's Books. I tried to read Death Kit once and got bored, but I don't like experimental novels ghenerally, even MAsterpieces like Finnegan's Wake. Sontag is certainly the archetype of that kind of figure that Johanna mentions, but that's not necessarily a criticism. Said is as well. What's wrong with being angst-filled, doubt-torn, and anguished? I like, for example, Cockburn, but his robust, doubt-free dogmatism makes one appreciate the hair tearing on the Sontag/Said type. The quote about "but not for us" is from Kafka; I used in in a paper on justice and progress, and the reference of the "us" was the subordinate groups struggling against domination. jks