Sontag v Chomsky

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 17 13:40:06 PDT 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> She made a splash in the late 60s with a now-forgotten--I don't say justly
> or otherwise, because I've forgotten it too--essay called "Against
> Interpretation," which had some vogue in literary studies.

Funny, I've forgotten it too, though I read it fairly carefully back in '75 or so. I was attracted by the title, since I had become rather weary of the new criticism and history of ideas I was trained in, but I can't even remember now whether I liked or disliked the essay itself when I read it. As Ian suggests, she did write about Barthes, but I can't remember any of that either except that his death made her very sad. Did she visit Hanoi and duel with Diane Trilling about it???

Carrol