Sontag v Chomsky

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Oct 17 17:10:37 PDT 2001

Justin Schwartz10/17/01 10:52 AMjkschw at hotmail.com

She wrote a book
> I liked called Illness as Metaphor, Marta might have something to say about
> that.

I've only glanced at that book. It did not impress me. Seemed to be about what Wilhelm Reich refers to as "bio-energetic shrinking" -- a person becomes "less" when they acquire a sickness. I don't have much interest in psychological or phenomena-based writing about illness. It just doesn't seem to have much value for the disabled peoples emancipation. Since I haven't read it I can only say, if she pointed out how awful the standard literary metaphors related to illness are, that would be of some value. I'm not sure she would get that far though Lennard Davis does a great job of dissecting Joseph Conrad on his conformity of language and thought when it comes to the "normalcy" of the body.

Marta