lbo-talk-digest V1 #5083

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at tao.ca
Thu Oct 18 02:52:54 PDT 2001

> From: "C P" <quintanus at hotmail.com>
> Subject: toronto downtown shut down
>
> Hey,
>
> This is the only article I've been able to find describing Toronto's
> financial center being shut down this morning. There is nothing in the New
> York Times or CNN etc. It's almost as though it didn't happen.
> http://sf.indymedia.org/display.php?id=106518
> This sounds like Seattle's WTO meeting. Is this so boring already?
> Christine

The problem is that the media doesn't get censored because it is so utterly reliable *in broad strokes* during a time of crisis. For example, the thousands of people who marched *after 911* and *w/o* any big union or media hype, big money- just motivated activists and passionate people- that is much bigger news than 75 000 against the IMF/WB would be. In the larger scheme of things, the media know when they have to shut up. And to have people outside of America reported for shutting down the city might allow too much democratic appearances. Yet another reason I hate the word "fascism" these days. They simply don't need something unreliable and obvious like that- in fact the appearances of fascism and real censorship would be consider (righlty) a liabilty and simply superfluous for others now.

Fascism had nothing on "democracy"as a means of social control. If you want reports on the shut down by OCAP- check the bourgeois Canadian press, who couldn't avoid the story- so they called it hopelessly inappropriate- misplaced, etc... the worst is always http://www.nationalpost.com

Macdonald