Left Falls Apart as Center Holds

Art McGee amcgee at well.com
Thu Oct 18 03:27:33 PDT 2001

[Interesting that Reed is the only Black leftist they bothered to quote. I've noticed lately that since September 11th, white folks on the Left have had there heads up their asses arguing amongst themselves about lots of bullshit. Who gives a fuck what Hitchens or Chomsky think about each other? The title of that infamous article should have been "The Incredible Whiteness of Left Discourse."--Art McGee]

New York Observer

October 22, 2001

Left Falls Apart as Center Holds

By Rick Perlstein <rperlstein at observer.com>

"Adolph Reed, a legendarily combative activist and New School professor, is the kind of partisan whom it's hard to find at a loss for words on any day. His first reaction upon hearing about the attack was "I hope they" -- meaning we -- "don't nuke anybody." Later he allowed for the appropriateness of "maybe even a military response, all things considered." His tone is now one of regret and hesitation. "One thing I find frustrating is that there are no acceptable responses from a left perspective." Even to think about the options, he says, is like juggling, one ball being that "what's made it possible to fund and build an apparatus to carry the attacks out at least partly has to do with the history of Western imperalism in other regions. But the other ball is that this is an attack on innocent people -- a lot of them working people.""

Full Story:

http://www.observer.com/pages/frontpage1.asp

-30-