Doug: "Whuppass those mofos!"

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Oct 18 07:01:11 PDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:17:58 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

> Letter written to NYO:
>
> >As flattering as it is to be quoted in your paper - and by Rick
> >Perlstein, whose work I've admired in the past - I did not suggest
>
> >to him that the question of September 11 was a "no-brainer." I told
>
> >him that I thought it was incredibly complicated, and that I'd
> spent
> >a couple of weeks trying to write about it precisely because it was
>
> >so complicated. It is devilishly hard to combine an acknowledgment
>
> >of the role of U.S. policy in creating the conditions in which
> >terrorists can arise with a sense that justice requires the
> >perpetrators be punished and future acts of mass murder prevented.
>
> >That prevention has to include some type of police action in
> >response, but also longer-term alterations of U.S. policy.

What do you mean by police action and how would that differ, if at all from what George W. is doing? After all, if you are going to call for a police action against the Taliban regime, wouldn't that require reliance upon the US military? And if that is the case, then I wouldn't expect them to participate in such a police action without their doing heavy bombing of Afghanistan in order to minimize US casaulties later on when they move in on the ground. In other words, this police action wouldn't look too much different from what is occuring at the moment. And if you think that this proposed police action could be somehow be conducted differently from what is going on now, what makes you think that the Bushies could be persuaded to adopt this proposal as opposed to what they are doing currently?

Jim F.