Anti-War Movements

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 18 09:27:28 PDT 2001

Luke Weiger wrote:

> > "Tightly focused"? Weasel words, Doug. Just how much collateral damage
>are
>> you willing to put up with?
>>
>> Carl
>
>Sometimes withholding forceful intervention results (albeit indirectly) in
>collateral damage as well, although incidences of guilty feelings and
>wailings about bloody hands after the fact are rare.

A friend of mine - who is no fan of the bombing - had a long chat with an Afghan living in NYC the other day. His wife and kids are still in Kabul, along with the rest of his family. She asked him what he thought of the bombing. He said he supported it. She asked him about civilian casualties. He said that people are dying every day in Afghanistan, and if the U.S. campaign brought down the Taliban, the civilian deaths would be worth it. That makes me very queasy, but that's what he said.

Doug