"Open Your Own Damn Mail"

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Thu Oct 18 12:19:24 PDT 2001

"Forstater, Mathew" wrote:

> Do the actual intended recipients really open their own mail when it
> says "Personal and Confidential", or is it just someone higher up the
> office ladder from those who would normally open it?

Well, heck - I'm sure it depends. If the return address in the upper left corner of the envelope is a doctor's office or a family member (even just the family surname and a fabricated address), and there's a prominent "Personal and Confidential" stamp on the front of the envelope, I would say the odds up until the recent events would have been in favor of a large percentage reaching their target. Of course there are a fair number of executives and public personages who have cultivated (and paid for) a deep-seated "trusting" relationship with an administrative assistant and don't balk at having them open highly personal correspondence, but I think there have generally been more of the other kind vis-a-vis the kind of correspondence mentioned above. And in any case, a ladder is a ladder - higher up ain't bad, if inciting fear and confusion is the goal.

--

/ dave /