counter-capitalism

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Thu Oct 18 13:32:59 PDT 2001

Ian Murray wrote:

> < http://specials.ft.com/countercap/ >

Leave it to the business press to actually write a fair and accurate article about the black bloc. The business journals, for the most part, have covered the black bloc much more accurately than even the Left press. Not surprising since, as Chomsky has always pointed out, they have an obligation to tell the ruling class what is really going on. For example, this writer makes a distinction between the black bloc in Europe and the ones in North America. The street protests in Europe are always going to be far more militant because there is a multigenerational history of militant working class protest. It's going to be much different than a North American black bloc that is populated by skinny vegans and Internet geeks.

It's nice to hear that the anti-cavalry measures were used in Gothenburg. I had heard that that technique was effective against mounted cops. I found out last night that one of our local black blocers even went so far as to take a class recently on police crowd control techniques. The police still have the upper hand right now, but their control is slipping as our numbers get bigger and bigger.

It's also interesting to read about the dirty little secret of the anti-globazliation movement. Yes, the mainstream groups publicly distance themselves from the black bloc, but secretly many of them support what the black bloc is doing. They understand that, politically, the more extreme elements make the moderates look more palatable to the targeted institutions.

Chuck0