Churchill

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 18 14:33:33 PDT 2001

Churchill's stuff is indeed repulsive. But why bother to post it to the list? The list of repulsive things out there in the world is endless.

We more or less harassed a person off the marxism list after she posted something like Churchill's post on the 911 casualties. Forwarding Churchill's article to a list that didn't need it is also pretty repulsive.

I really don't understand why Doug bothered. And that stupid rhetorical question, "wondering how much sympathy there is here for this position." He must have known fucking well that there was no sympathy for such a position.

I've defended Doug several times on the marxism list over what I thought were simply lies about his position. But maybe they weren't lies after all if has to stoop to this kind of implied slander.

Peace to all such! but were there One whose fires

True Genius kindles, and fair Fame inspires,

Blest with each Talent and each Art to please,

And born to write, converse, and live with ease:

Shou'd such a man, too fond to rule alone,

Bear, like the _Turk_, no brother near the throne,

View him with scornful, yet with jealous eyes,

And hate for Arts that caus'd himself to rise;

Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer,

And without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;

Willing to wound, and yet afraid to strike,

Just hint a fault, and hesitate dislike;

Alike reserv'd to blame, or to commend,

A tim'rous foe, and a suspicious friend,

Dreading ev'n fools, by Flatterers besieg'd,

And so obliging that he ne'er oblig'd;

Like _Cato_, give his little Senate laws,

And sit attentive to his own applause;

While Wits and Templers ev'ry sentence raise,

And wonder with a foolish face of praise.

Who but must laugh, if such a man there be?

Who would not weep, if _Atticus_ were he!

Carrol