Six-figure existentialism

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Oct 19 05:00:27 PDT 2001

Stanley Fish on the impact of the recession on higher ed, after his department had to slash 49 planned hires to 18:

"And what about me? How do I feel about operating in a regime of scarcity (temporary, I hope) after almost three years of entrepreneurial frenzy? Well it has its pleasures, rather like the pleasure (on the obsessive-compulsive side to be sure) of cleaning up your desk after a bout of intense and almost narcotic writing, or the pleasure of pruning a manuscript of self-indulgent length, or the pleasure of finally getting through that pile of mail and identifying the debts and obligations it brings even if you can't quite take care of them." (http://chronicle.com/jobs/2001/10/2001101901c.htm)

-- Dennis