Six-figure existentialism

Ted Winslow egwinslow at home.com
Fri Oct 19 08:04:27 PDT 2001

Dennis Redmond quoted Fish:

In his NYT article Fish (taking, like Jameson, a Humpty Dumpty approach to the definition of "irrational") wrote:

> The same reduction occurs when we imagine the enemy as "irrational."
> Irrational actors are by definition without rhyme or reason, and
> there's no point in reasoning about them on the way to fighting them.
> The better course is to think of these men as bearers of a
> rationality we reject because its goal is our destruction. If we take
> the trouble to understand that rationality, we might have a better
> chance of figuring out what its adherents will do next and preventing
> it.

Since on Fish's premises there is no "rationality" but simply different equally valid "rationalities" of which the "rationality" of those directly responsible for the mass murders of Sept. 11th is one, how can the privileging of his particular "rationality" by way of a six figure income etc. be justified?

Ted