Note to the "ladder of force left"

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri Oct 19 11:29:51 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Fitch" <gcf at panix.com>

=========== The individuals endow the state with rights-by delegating 'authority' to represent them and be held to account; the social contract. Rights talk lowers the costs to each individual of protection from others-bullies etc.

========== Unpopular, as well as other, speech needs protection; rights talk is the cheapest way to afford protection-epistemically and economically.

> I realize this seems very abstruse, but I am trying to
> reason my way into dealing with the current situation, and
> less radical approaches seem to end up in the same place,
> the ladder of force which goes only one way -- to the
> gallows, after which we dance on air. But maybe we are
> already in the grip of that tragic necessity and I should
> quit thinking about it.

======= You might be confusing the logically compelling dimensions of the ladder theory with the, as yet, indeterminate medium term consequences of the actual situation. We can't know the future on this one and that, on top of our collective confusion and frustration as to how we can be effective participants in bringing about some outcomes consistent with left norms, gives us all frayed neurons and leads to the totally unnecessary circular firing squads. Our confusion and sorrow should be pointing us in the direction of some patience with each other. We have not unlearned the firing squad rituals we get into every time a tragedy may or may not present an opportunity for us to put forth our best ideas and that very ritual virtually assures us of not putting our best ideas forward to a wider audience.

Ian

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It

but at the very least you need a beer."

- Frank Zappa