Operation Enduring Protest

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 22:24:44 PDT 2001

>From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>
>
>The purpose of the ESD position is not to curry favor with
>the public in order to foist other ideas upon it. It is to
>acknowledge what the RAI's don't want to talk about -- that
>some resort to self-defense is what I would call an absolute right.

Absolutely. But I don't see how pulverizing Kabul comes under the heading of self-defense, strictly speaking. Heightened domestic airport security and more US border checks are what I'd define as self-defense.

>While I've said I thought that no such force can be absoutely
>effective, there should also be little doubt that it will
>blunt the extent of terrorist attacks.

Why are you so sure? As has been argued, our use of military force may simply create martyrs and recruit more terrorists -- Israel being Exhibit A.

>The RAI's posture excludes them from any real political
>debate about longer-term remedies.

Jeez, is there a penalty box here? How long do you have to wait to get back in the game?

>Nobody here is that great, or that
>bad.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into mediocrity.

Carl