Note to the "ladder of force left"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 20 07:07:33 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> [Doug]
> >A bunch of people that have demonstrated themselves capable of
> >stunning acts of violence have resolved to kill lots of Americans.
> >That would include you, Yoshie, Carrol, even Lou Proyect. There's no
> >
> I've been mugged by a black man, but I'm against the "war on crimes,"
> racial profiling, etc. There's no class warrior exemption from the
> point of view of muggers, robbers, rapists, drive-by shooters, etc.
> So?
> --
> Yoshie

Doug, you are getting a bit desperate. One element of the thesis we have been pushing is that all possible U.S. responses to 9/11 will _increase_ the danger of further terrorist attacks on the U.S. Hence if I were concerned about my own safety, that would intensify my opposition.

The terrorists are going to win. That is, the U.S. is going at some point to begin a withdrawal from the arc that runs from Morocco to Indonesia. It will do so with immense bloodshed, including really serious terrorist acts and heavy casualties or it will withdraw in good order, sharply cutting support of Israel, stopping all pressure on Iraq and Iran, withdrawing troops from Saudi Arabia. The war in Afghanistan will be objectively a fiasco, though for the time being the U.S. may be able to visit sufficient horror on the people of Afghanistan to "save face" at home.

Instead of continually analyzing the motives, personalities, and rhetorical style of those you disagree with I suggest you start making practical suggestions that do not involve the assistance of the Good Witch of the West.

Carrol