Churchill

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Oct 20 08:21:40 PDT 2001

At 12:59 AM 10/21/01 +1100, Rob Schaap wrote:

>No, the graduate student *is* most successful, *qua a graduate student*, if
>he *or she* lives the life of a single person.

of twaddle. do you have the dean of your school staring at your tits? do you have you chair telling a student who asks, "oh, you want kelley, she's in the TA bay. just look for the beautiful woman in a blue skirts and sweater." do you have students writing on your eval, "cool teacher. she dresses nice too." or "cool dress" or "nice legs". do you get assigned to teach courses on the family, even though that's not your area of expertise and even though there are men who have actually taught it before, but because you're a women you'd just be right for it? does your dept chair tell you stories about his sex life, you and the dept secretaries, because we're those kind of girls, unlike his middle class colleagues? do you have students who walk up to you on the quad and start walking alongside you to talk about their grade and, all of a sudden, find that they're draping their arm around your shoulders. so you have students who report you to your dean because you're teaching about sexuality and you dare to use the word "vagina" and "penis" in a matter of fact way, without blushing?

these are all things that STILL fucking happen.