After they win...

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Oct 20 21:45:04 PDT 2001

>>From: Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org>
>>
>>I do not actually agree that the 5,000 killed in the WTC were totally
>>innocent, in that they, like most inhabitants of the rich imperialist
>>countries, are institutionally blind to the urgent need for global
economic
>>justice. But in legal terms they were of course wholly innocent ...

Carl:
>That's the problem with US society, Chris. It makes you feel more like an
>accessory than a citizen. However, your statement above shows, at best, a
>tin ear for public sensibilities.

First of all, how do you know they all were institutionally blind to the urgent need for global economic justice? Secondly, what does g.e.j. have to do with ObL? He wants the infidels out of the holy land. Third, if this was some sort of karmic retribution, it seems a little excessive.

And speaking of tin ears, I'm still waiting for Carrol to answer my question about his theories on the culture war we may or may not be enduring, one that may be similar to the Gulf war culture war.

> It is of course easy to scoff at the
>articles that have appeared in the press profiling WTC victims; every
single
>profile depicts an individual who lived an almost saintly life. But
>journalistic accuracy isn't the point of those profiles; they're intended
>honor individuals (flawed, certainly, as everyone is) who suffered brutal
>deaths and left many bereaved survivors behind. I think we too should make
>an effort to pay those victims respect.
>
>Carl

Indeed, maybe one of the survivors is an activist for global economic justice. But Carl, what about all the victims all over the world who deserve respect? What about the Nigerians who died in recent protests? What about the Palestinians who were shot by Arafat's police? You don't want to be accused of having double standards, do you?

Peter