After they win...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 21 14:39:19 PDT 2001

>From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com>
>
> > It is of course easy to scoff at the
> >articles that have appeared in the press profiling WTC victims; every
>single
> >profile depicts an individual who lived an almost saintly life. But
> >journalistic accuracy isn't the point of those profiles; they're intended
> >honor individuals (flawed, certainly, as everyone is) who suffered brutal
> >deaths and left many bereaved survivors behind. I think we too should
>make
> >an effort to pay those victims respect.
> >
> >Carl
>
>Indeed, maybe one of the survivors is an activist for global economic
>justice.
>But Carl, what about all the victims all over the world who deserve
>respect?
>What about the Nigerians who died in recent protests? What about the
>Palestinians who were shot by Arafat's police?
>You don't want to be accused of having double standards, do you?
>
>Peter

Hardly. However, I think the views expressed on the LBO list are read mainly by Americans and no doubt include those who skim leftist lists to find "proof" that leftists are callous about the legitimate interests and feelings of the public in general. I have consistently been of the opinion that the US set itself up for the 9/12 attack through the reckless, imperialistic foreign policies we have pursued for so long. Still, I recognize that it is both crass and pure folly to stand around braying the Chickens Have Come Home to Roost -- a message that, in blunt form anyway, will just disgust the American public and further marginalize the left.

For that practical reason as well as simply decency, it is critical to acknowledge the WTC attack as a complete horror and state unequivocally that none of the thousands who died in that attack deserved such a terrible fate.

Carl