After they win...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 21 20:54:15 PDT 2001

>From: "Mina Kumar" <wejazzjune at hotmail.com>
>
>>From: Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>
>>
>>One difficulty with the chickens come home to roost is that it often
>>sounds as if the audience was largely responsible when in fact most people
>>have no idea that all of what American policy actually is.
>
>They are responsible for their ignorance. No one in Jamaica or Afghanistan
>or Iran is ignorant in the same way because it is not a privilege that
>accrues to those outside the imperium.

This is certainly true. Americans' ignorance is much connected with the nation's fabulous, self-renewing, much-proclaimed sense of "innocence" -- perhaps better defined as clinical narcissism. Americans' will to ignorance reminds me of the degree of stupidity that Samuel Johnson once ascribed to one of his nemeses: "Why, Sir, Sherry is dull, naturally dull; but it must have taken him a great deal of pains to become what we now see him. Such an excess of stupidity, Sir, is not in Nature."

Carl