Sexual Harassment

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Oct 21 20:20:13 PDT 2001

Lou wrote:

> I've never seen it work. Usually the target gets on his high horse,
> accusing the flamers of orchestrating a "feeding frenzy", and various people
> come to his defense, condemning the flamers for intemperate language, and
> branding the flamers as prudes, anti-sex Dworkinites, enemies of free
> expression, psychologically fucked up themselves, and so on.
>
> However, "probably" always implies "possibly not", so maybe my pessimism
> will prove unwarranted. One can hope, I guess.
>
> lp

I used to accept this, but the sexual politics in the States being so oddly wrapped up in a panic mode + self-obsession makes me doubt the usefulness of either Lou or Todd's proposals without some provisions for due process. If there is a guarantee of due process involed, fine. In a country like the US, the politics of sexual panic, monkey-see monkey-do, lead to some pretty bizarre scenarios of fale accusation that it's in the interest of no reasonable person to defend.

Steve