Noonan's racial profiling

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 22 09:26:58 PDT 2001

On Peggy Noonan's latest appeal to good Americans to stop middle eastern looking men and interrogate them if they look suspicious, (see http://opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=95001349) I sent her a little note: Dear Ms. Noonan: I imagine the following occurs when you ask what would have happened if you had (as you believe you should have) interrogated two Arab looking men filming Rockefeller Center:

Peggy: Excuse me sir, just why are you filming the Rockefeller center?

Arab looking man: Lo siento, que dices? No hablo ingles...

Peggy: Ah hah, I knew it, an Arab terrorist!!

Stephen Philion Lecturer/PhD Candidate Department of Sociology 2424 Maile Way Social Sciences Bldg. # 247 Honolulu, HI 96822