No more trees for paper?

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Mon Oct 22 13:50:46 PDT 2001

From: "Kevin Robert Dean" <qualiall_2 at yahoo.com>

> I'm not being cynical here or anything, but I really
> want to know. Those environmentalists who don't like
> deforestation AND don't like Genetic Engineering,
> would they be supportive of such a project as below?
>
> University of Texas, Austin
> 20-Oct-01
>

> Eliminate Need to Harvest Trees for Wood Or Pulp
> Library: SCI
> CELLULOSE BIOSYNTHESIS

While I'm not against GE per se nor a big fan of deforestation, why are those the options when the legalization of hemp will give us all the paper products we need [plus lots of other great stuff]. Well managed forests can handle lumber needs and let the above project flourish under some alternative property rights structure that's amenable to democratic controls.

Ian