[defaced-commentary] Gforce Pakistan

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Oct 22 19:57:25 PDT 2001

At 11:53 AM 10/22/01 -0700, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
>Kel
>
>I haven't found anything in the mainstream press
>confirming these alleged attacks. How reliable is
>"Defaced"?

Kevin,

i know Brian Martin, of attrition.org. sure. put it this way, he busted my chops big time because one of the Hacker Jeopardy questions I wrote for Defcon 9.0 managed to mix up two different defacement groups: Hackers for Girlies (look at the defaced archives at attrition.org; my boss's SS# is posted in the source code of the infamous, sophisticated NYT hack) and Girlies for Hacking, a defacement group that cracked Carolyn Meinel's site w/ an unsophisticated crack. ooooooops! now I have to drink a rilly rilly large glass of Guinness. chug a lug. Brian would make Chip look like Betty Boop when it comes to tweaking people for spreading rumors, too. hell, if i forward without a link, he tweaks me.

you will probably see a report in Newsbytes, by an journalist, Brian McWilliams, who covers the security/hacker beat. well, i'll check....well, sheeeeeeIT, whaddya know, it's online! http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171217.html

Pakistani Hackers Deface U.S. Site With Ultimatum By Brian McWilliams, Newsbytes KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI, U.S.A., 17 Oct 2001, 9:44 AM CST

gforce has been defacing sites for years. check out the archives at alldas.de which was linked to in the original email. attrition.org used to host the mirrors but it was voluntary labor and they took a lot of flak: from feds who suspect them of encouraging/participating in defacements to script kiddies accusing them of not getting their ego up on the mirror fast enough.

whoops! busy news night, this just in. check daypop.com the news search engine for the latest news on it. this one doesn't seem noteworthy, tho:

Earlier today, Oct 22, a group known as "Pakistan Hackerz Club" (PHC) compromisd and defaced the Zee News web site. Fortunately for ZeeNews, the defacers put up a custom page instead of engaging in a more subtle attacks. As stated on today's defacement, this is the *fifth* time Zee News has been defaced by PHC (see below for previous mirrors). Also on the defacement were threats against Indian Atomic Research and US Military/Government servers, as well as "UK" for "licking American balls".

First Zee News defacement: http://attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2000/03/10/www.zeenews.com

Second Zee News defacement: http://attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2000/03/21/www.zeenews.com

Third Zee News defacement: http://attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2000/08/09/www.zeenews.com

Fourth Zee News defacement: http://attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2000/08/17/www.zeenews.com