lbo-talk-digest V1 #5132

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Tue Oct 23 07:19:34 PDT 2001

CG:
>There is something quite puerile, nasty, and chicken shit >about
>sending poison letters. I associate that sort of tactic with >very low
>grade, morality ridden pettiness---a mentality that exactly >echos the
>qualities I associate with the US rightwing.

I associate it with psychopathically disturbed individuals, which fair and square puts the domestic rightwing in the picture. As Shaw nearly said, not all rightwingers are psychopaths, but nearly all psychopaths are rightwingers.

On the other hand, and venturing far into the zone of bum talking, I'd suspect that this is not the work of organised militias, or indeed of organised anything. The selection of targets has too much of a flavour of personal hobby horses and private obsessions to them, rather than the glamour-boy targets which a terrorist group would pick; the targets aren't really household names outside their own household, but they are (newsreaders and slightly obscure but powerful politicians) exactly the sort of person that someone who doesn't get out of the house much would pick.

My only credentials for this disgraceful example of irresponsible speculation were that I managed a reasonably accurate profile of London's mad bomber last year, based on his target selection. I guessed that he was a solo loon, because he tried to cover the waterfront of fascist hate targets rather than concentrating on an area he knew, and that he wasn't a Londonder, because he picked tourist stereotype areas. Not very impressive but there you go.

The email address isn't some kind of joke, by the way; almost every webmail service is blocked by work these days, and I'm fucked if I'm having an email address at "thankgod4jesus.com" or "irishabroad.com".

cheers

dd