Note to the "ladder of force left"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 23 09:32:15 PDT 2001

Mina Kumar wrote:

>>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>>Subject: Re: Note to the "ladder of force left"
>>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:16:58 -0400

>>That's not a very good analogy. Street crimes have social causes, but
>>they're individual acts. There's no organized group of muggers
>>issuing threats of mass murder.
>

>Sorry, I don't follow. Terrorist crimes don't have social causes?
>Only crimes organized by n < 2 people have social causes? Those
>threatening mass murder don't have social causes? Would you say
>Palestinian terrorist acts did not have social causes?

Of course terrorist crimes have social causes. To be clearer, I should have written, "Street crimes, like terrorism, have social causes, but they're individual acts." Terrorism is explicitly political; you could argue that street crimes are political, too - they're committed almost entirely by poor young men with a less than bright future - but they're only implicitly so.

Doug