Note to the "ladder of force left"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:29:56 PDT 2001

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>That's OK. The NYPD are all heroes now anyway. Funny, all it took
>>was to film them in slo-mo with the flag rippling in the background
>>(emoticon of some sort here).
>
>Some of them did run into a burning building to try to save people
>and died for it, you know. Not as many cops as firefighters did, and
>cops do a lot of nasty stuff and firefighters do almost none, but it
>wasn't just the slo-mo that made them "heroes."
>
>Doug

Hmm, the flag's rippling here, too. But your point is well taken, of course. I remember a passage from Studs Terkel's Working (I believe it was), where a cop talks about the difficulty of cutting down the body of a suicide-by-hanging and having trouble avoiding the maggots that were dropping all over him from the long-dead corpse. I recall Terkel summed it up by saying cops do jobs that most of us wouldn't do for any amount of money. That said, I think police always bear close watching.

Carl