Ghosts

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Oct 23 19:25:08 PDT 2001

I was running the Max Payne demo on my new laptop, slackjawed with awe -- it's a dazzling work of art, I've got to sit down and do a write-up one of these days -- when one of the screens cut to a skyline shot of NYC. Framed against a billowing winter sky, there they were: the Twin Towers, untouched by this nightmare we all live in called prehistory (the game is set in NYC and was released this past summer).

I felt exactly like a deer caught in someone's headlights.

Weirdly, after a moment I felt really, *really* glad Remedy sat down and created the game they did. The video art-work had defeated the historical reality, if only for a moment -- death had somehow been robbed of its sting.

-- Dennis