Fwd: AOL's "youth filters" protect kids from Democrats & from Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Oct 24 10:57:10 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [I agree that Dems are a dangerous influence, but this is going too far!]
>
> AOL's "youth filters" protect kids from Democrats
> By Brian Livingston April 24, 2000
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1278-210-3287273-1.html
>
> America Online provides "youth filters" that are supposed to keep
> kids out of dangerous Web sites--but they seem designed to eliminate
> creeping liberalism.

I've been a prominent fighter against Internet filtering in libraries for several years. It's encouraging to see more and more columns like this these days because it means that the computer/technical press is getting beyond merely reviewing filtering products, to reporting how ineffective they are.

The religious right has lost alot of ground in their fight to institute Internet censorship in libraries, despite the election of Bush to the White House. My analysis of the filtering situation currently is that the religious right has pretty much lost the war.

Articles like this are just more nails in the coffin.

Chuck0