Note to the "ladder of force left"

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Wed Oct 24 05:36:58 PDT 2001

When faced with a gung-ho hawk, I've made the same argument, but with a straight face: "You know, you're absolutely right--we've got to get in there and get rid of all the scum, every last one of them. Absolutely. Genocide is the answer." (I'm not, Not, NOT saying Max is a gung-ho hawk but just using your comments to him as a departure point). To a man (and they are all men), they soften and then respond, "But we got to do *something!" At which I usually advance my domestic-focus option. But now that the FBI is thinking torture--well, every position is awful. There is no way out of it. -- Curtiss