Chomsky Fans-a question

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Thu Oct 25 08:48:32 PDT 2001

Kel:

> I'm not familiar enough with all of Chomsky's work to know, but the
> following claims are being made by a real drooling dolt on another list.
> What is he talking about, anyone know?
>
> <paste>
> Chomsky claims the following: that in the first battle
> of the postwar struggle with the Soviet Empire, "the
> United States was picking up where
> the Nazis had left off."
>
> He further claims that during the Cold War, American
> operations behind the Iron Curtain included "a 'secret army'
> under US-Nazi auspices that sought to provide agents and military
> supplies to armies that had been established by Hitler and which
> were still operating inside the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe
> through the early 1950s."
>
> Do you believe those to be accurate statements?

I've read a fair amount of Chomsky's work, and I can't say that I recall the above statements. Doesn't mean he didn't write them, but I'd like to see them in context and above all sourced. That aside, I don't see what the controversy is here. The US worked with and funded various pro-fascist forces in the postwar world, especially in Greece and in Vietnam. I mean, is this now in dispute?

DP