Negri interview

Greg Schofield g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au
Thu Oct 25 09:20:03 PDT 2001

Thank you Chris, I am not sure how it helps, but at least it confirms my suspicion that the translation brings its own interpretation (my mono-linguistic abilities curse me yet again).

If it is probably the word 'neistovy', I guess it draws close to a meaning like "unpiously aggressive" (based on it being a negative of fanatical/devoted which could mean I suppose something like pious and saintly - violence would be a fair rendition but not really an exact one).

Thankyou for you expertise, on such little things a lot may turn.

Greg Schofield Perth Australia

--- Message Received --- From: Chris Doss <chrisd at russiajournal.com> To: "'lbo-talk at lists.panix.com'" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:43:24 +0400 Subject: RE: Negri interview

(does anyone know the Russian word which has been translated into violent, perhaps it has more than this meaning?)

Probably 'neistovy.' It's a negative. 'Istovy' on its own means something like 'fanatical' or 'devoted.' Can't figure that semantic logic out, but there it is.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal