Note to the "ladder of force left"

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Thu Oct 25 12:55:50 PDT 2001

Depends. Do you know that the Afghan invasion was planned as early as March in line with the requests of Unocal and other oil interests from the US Congress and are discounting the implications thereof, or have you never heard about this?

At the risk of being obnoxious, may I stress that this war is not about terrorism.

Hakki Alacakaptan

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Ian Murray

[NYTimes] Naming of Hijackers as Saudis May Further Erode Ties to U.S. By ELAINE SCIOLINO with NEIL MacFARQUHAR

WASHINGTON, Oct. 24 - Fifteen of the 19 men who hijacked four airplanes on Sept. 11 were from Saudi Arabia, Federal authorities have said, a disclosure that is likely to complicate an already tangled and difficult relationship between Washington and Riyadh.

The identities and nationalities of the hijackers had been uncertain since the planes crashed. But after weeks of investigation here and in Saudi Arabia, federal authorities say they are now sure. [snip]

========== Let's see if I have this right:

Given the evidence above in conjunction with the reasoning of some list members, the US would be justified in bombing Saudi Arabia, but does not for practical-strategic reasons; however we are bombing-attacking Afghanistan, which is not justified based on the evidence above, yet is ok to do for practical-strategic reasons. Am I missing something?

Ian