Note to the "ladder of force left"

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Thu Oct 25 14:28:39 PDT 2001

Robert Fisk writes daily and very convincingly about why this supposedly antiterrorist war is creating millions of "potential terrorists", as some prefer to call them. I just call them extremely pissed off people. Clearly US strategists are not as thick as they were in the Vietnam days and know that they are not getting anywhere near their avowed objectives. So what are their real aims? I guess you've read my posts here so without repeating myself, let me point you to some other material:

A backgrounder with a map of the pipeline routes: http://members.localnet.com/~jeflan/jfafghanpipe.htm

Here's something I wrote: http://nycap.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=1128&group=webcast

Check out George Monbiot's October 23 article in The Guardian entitled "America's pipe dream: A pro-western regime in Kabul should give the US an Afghan route for Caspian oil" Of course there's also Arundhati Roy's article "War is Peace" which I'm sure you've seen.

Don't know if the links are still there but here's some news links about the invasion plans dating back to March: http://www.indiareacts.com/Story33.htm http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1550000/1550366.stm http://www.janes.com/security/international_security/news/jir/jir010315_1_n. shtml

Centrasbat exercises in the "Stans" involving rapid deployment troops flown in from US, UK, Turkey: www.angelfire.com/wi/kazakhstanelumin/usmilitaryinkaz.html http://www.russiajournal.com/weekly/article.shtml?ad=3612

JOHN J. MARESCA, VICE PRESIDENT UNOCAL in testimony before a House committee, February 12, 1998:"From the outset, we have made it clear that construction of our proposed pipeline cannot begin until a recognized government is in place that has the confidence of governments, lenders and our company. In spite of this, a route through Afghanistan appears to be the best option with the fewest technical obstacles. It is the shortest route to the sea and has relatively favorable terrain for a pipeline. The route through Afghanistan is the one that would bring Central Asian oil closest to Asian markets and thus would be the cheapest in terms of transporting the oil."

Hakki Alacakaptan

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Doug Henwood To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Note to the "ladder of force left"

Hakki Alacakaptan wrote:

>Depends. Do you know that the Afghan invasion was planned as early as March
>in line with the requests of Unocal and other oil interests from the US
>Congress and are discounting the implications thereof, or have you never
>heard about this?
>
>At the risk of being obnoxious, may I stress that this war is not about
>terrorism.

How do you know?

Doug -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20011026/b45ef6ca/attachment.htm>