numbers problems

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:41:58 PDT 2001

>From: "Ian Murray" <seamus2001 at home.com>
>
>Number of New York dead may be 2,000 less than official tally
>
>Lists reveal huge discrepancies
>
>Michael Ellison in New York
>Friday October 26, 2001
>The Guardian
>
>The official tally of those killed in the World Trade Centre attacks
>might have been overestimated by 2,000 people, according to the
>calculations of several organisations.
>
>New York city officials say 4,964 are dead or missing but none of the
>lists maintained by others comes near to that. One compiled by the New
>York Times puts the toll at about 2,950; another, by USA Today, the
>nation's biggest-selling newspaper, stops at 2,680; and that
>maintained by the Associated Press news agency goes no further than
>2,625.

[Let's not forget the cool appraisal of Brad DeLong, numbers guy, on the list in the aftermath of the 9/11 attack, e.g.:]

Re: Hi-jack fall-out

From: Brad DeLong (jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu) Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 12:38:09 EDT

... After all, it looks as though as many Americans have died this morning as died in the Korean War...

Brad Delong

Re: Hi-jack fall-out

From: Brad DeLong (jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu) Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 13:00:39 EDT

>I saw some footage (bound to be repeazted ad nauseum) of Palastinians in
>Jerusalam celebrating. This is gonna get REAL ugly... Jim Baird

20,000 people are dead. What's there to celebrate?

Brad DeLong

Re: Hi-jack fall-out

From: Brad DeLong (jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu) Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 14:59:53 EDT

>>I saw some footage (bound to be repeazted ad nauseum) of Palastinians in
>>Jerusalam celebrating. This is gonna get REAL ugly... Jim Baird
>
>From the Palestinian viewpoint, things have been real ugly for a while now.

25000 dead in half an hour ugly?

Brad DeLong

RE: Hi-jack fall-out

From: Brad DeLong (jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu) Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 17:12:23 EDT

... There are 300,000 people in New York right now who have just lost husbands, wives, parents, children, lovers, and friends.

I dare say that their tragedy has to weigh more heavily in the scale right now than the (real) tragedy in Gaza, doesn't it?

Brad DeLong

[end of excerpts]

Carl