Is this an aporia? force and violence

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Oct 27 00:40:47 PDT 2001

>Yes in my copy of State and Revolution I have ringed the English word
>"violent" where Lenin, as you quote, refers to "this panegyric on violent
>revolution" and I have noted in the margin that "Engels uses the word 'force' "

from the web: Xrefer definition

>Aporia
>

>In Greek aporia means a tangled path blocking the way, but the term has
>often been used in a literary context to describe a logical problem or
>inability to settle to a course of action as, for example, in Hamlet's `To
>be or not to be' speech. More recently, the term has been used by
>deconstructionist critics to refer to a point of contradiction or impasse
>in a work when the reader is left with inconsistent or unresolvable ideas.
>For deconstructionist critics, the aporia is inevitable in all writing and
>should not be seen as a mistake or blemish in the work.

And from an introduction to

METAPHYSICAL APORIA AND PHILOSOPHICAL HERESY Stephen David Ross

>Philosophy has recurrently acknowledged aporia: "moments in the movement
>of thought in which it finds itself faced with unconquerable obstacles
>resulting from conflicts in its understanding of its own intelligibility."

Or is the jump in English from Engels' German to Lenin's Russian, just a bad translation which has been absolutised by dogmatists and glossed over by opportunists?

Chris Burford

London