Tanya Reinhart - Stop Israel! (who is Tanya Reinhart anyway)

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sat Oct 27 04:24:54 PDT 2001

Who is Tanya Reinhart, anyway?]

Tanya is a professor of linguistics and cultural studies at Tel Aviv University and the University of Utrecht. She has a regular column in Israel's largest daily, Yediot Aharonot, etc. She's been one of the most outspoken Israeli critics of the government's treatment of the Palestinians and the occupation. She was one of the main forces behind the blank ballot campaign, which has gained considerable force since the Rabin period (however, in the last elections between Sharon and Barak, there were much fewer blank ballots than there were people merely refusing to vote), and has been outspoken in defence of conscientious objectors. Anyway, yah, she studied under Chomsky years ago at MIT and is a Chomskian par excellance, both linguistically and politically. She is the one who came up with the connections between the Oslo negotiations and the South African system of 'Home Rule' Bantustans.

And I should say, After working as a programmer in Ai (Artificial Intelligence) www.a-i.com, which use a stictly behaviorist approach to the field of A.I. and think of Chomsky as the anti-Christ (Skinner being Christ), I can tell you that behaviorism can give you immediate results that flatten off quickly with little improvement further on as complexity is increased. Chomsky may be a bit too fundamentalist with his Language Accesessing Device, deep structure, etc., but he was on the right track from what I can tell. And also politically, I agree with much of the criticism of Chomsky's lack of theory or even a need for it (for example Zizek's recent critique), but I also think that his (and Tanya's) matter of fact, laying out the issue, making people feel that they have the power to effect change, etc. is essential for getting people off their asses.

Anyway, best wishes to all,

Bryan