organizing........

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 28 17:28:02 PST 2001

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>Ian Murray:
> >
> > [LATimes]
> > On Campus and Off, Antiwar Movements See New Vigor
> > Reaction: Opposition to military action builds with a more polite,
> > thoughtful approach than in days of Vietnam.
>
>_Early_ protests against the Vietnam War were probably much _more_
>polite than are current protests taken as a whole. Moreover, the
>politeness of current protests (based both on what I've read from
>participants and local experience) is tactical rather than deeply felt.

I recall the early Vietnam teach-ins were pretty genteel, scholarly affairs.

But history seems to have speeded up since then, and the antiwar movement should be prepared to move aggressively to take advantage of a collapse of public confidence in Bush & Co. Here we are, just a couple of weeks into the bombing campaign without any hard slog on the ground yet, and the Q word, quagmire, is already being used in the general media.

Carl