Alterman's latest

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Oct 28 16:56:10 PST 2001

http://thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011112&s=alterman

Excerpt:

"The news of the covert program has provoked considerable confusion among those who seek to blame the United States for the September 11 massacre. Proponents of an overly schematic "blowback" scenario, including at least one vocal supporter of the Soviet "rape" of Afghanistan, have seized Brzezinski's comments to claim that Osama bin Laden is merely one of America's "chickens coming home to roost." This is both simplistic and obscene. Blowback exists in absolutely every aspect of life, because nothing comes without unintended consequences. Does it make sense to blame the destruction of the World Trade Center on a $500 million nonlethal aid program that took place more than twenty years ago? We cannot even know for certain why the Soviets decided on their invasion."

Even though I think the all involved would've been better off if the Soviets were able to maintain their stranglehold on Afghanistan, I find much to agree with in the preceding paragraph.

-- Luke